With a Special Homemade Queso and Salsa!
Cook time: 10 minutes Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Serves:8
Hello everyone, and welcome to the first day of our blog! Today we are taking a look at our Taco Salad inspired by some family friends! The whole family will love a healthy taco salad with ground beef!
Did you know avocados originated from Mexico? Avocados were native to South Central Mexico and have been found to grow there naturally for several thousand years (cali avo, 1). Spanish conquistadores valued the fruit but couldn’t pronounce the word correctly. So, the Spanish changed the name from avocados to a more attainable word “Aguacate” (cali avo, 2). But the English still pronounce it as the Aztec word Avocados!
This ingredient has many many benefits to your health! They protect your vision, decrease your risk of heart attacks, and have the ability to ward off cancer! Avocados can also slim down your waist, and they can keep off extra pounds (Collier Cool, 1). This healthy food is also knows as a “Super fruit” (Collier cool, 2). Avocados are one of the most healthiest foods to exist!
I have had this recipe a few times, and it is definitely one of the best! Contributions to this recipe come from two family friends. I have been inspired with the mouthwatering homemade salsa from Mrs. Celina and this splendid queso that will make sure to leave with that homemade queso on your mind for the rest of your life by Mrs. Laura!
I will say there are a lot of ingredients here but about all of them you will find just laying around your house waiting to be used! Taco salads are super healthy and easy to make! This recipe is definitely one of my favorites! It is perfect for any days of the week!
Now, There are many different ways you can customize your taco salad! When my family and I go out to dinner, almost every time, if my brother gets the chance to have nachos he will. You can take your superb homemade queso made by Mrs. Laura, and slap that over some tortilla chips. Then add your condiments, and top it off with some of the delicious homemade salsa by Mrs. Celina to make some delicious nachos!
What You Will Need As Utensils:
- Skillet for queso
- Pan for the ground beef
- Spatula or large wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- 2 Small sized microwavable bowls
- 1 Large bowl for lettuce
- I would recommend a large platter to put all of your condiments on because, nobody wants to get out 10 different bowls and then clean all of them, but you can if you like!
Ingredients for Taco Salad
☑︎ 1 lb of fresh ground beef
☑︎ 1 tsp avocado oil (or any oil like vegetable oil or olive oil etc.)
☑︎ 2 tbsp taco seasoning (if you don’t have pre packaged taco seasoning I explain how to make your own if you scroll down more)
☑︎ 8oz chopped romain lettuce
☑︎ 1⅓ cup of grape tomatoes sliced in half
☑︎ Cheddar cheese block or pre shredded (depends if you want to grade it yourself or not)
☑︎ 1 avocado
☑︎ ½ cup green onions
☑︎ Tortilla Chips
☑︎ 1 can of black, pinto or refried beans
☑︎ 1 can of Corn
☑︎ ⅓ cup sour cream
☑︎ Salad Dressing (optional)
Ingredients for Mrs. Laura’s Queso Dip:
☑︎ 1 small onion finely chopped
☑︎ 1 small can dices green chilies
☑︎ One 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
☑︎ 16oz Velvetta cheeses
☑︎2 cups grated cheddar cheese (sharp or medium)
☑︎Garlic salt for taste
Ingredients for Celina’s Salsa:
☑︎ 2 cans (28oz) of diced tomatoes
☑︎ 1 yellow onion
☑︎ 1 bunch of cilantro (cut off stems)
☑︎ 1-4 Serreno peppers (to taste, some have tons of heat & some do not)
☑︎ Garlic salt for taste
Ingredients for Taco Seasoning:
☑︎ 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
☑︎½ tbsp Cumin
☑︎½ tsp Garlic Powder
☑︎¼ tsp red pepper flakes
☑︎¼ tsp oregano
☑︎½ tsp salt
☑︎1 tsp pepper
☑︎ pinch of cayenne pepper if you want a more kick of flavor (optional)
Mrs. Laura’s Queso Dip!:
- Grab your skillet and Sauté onions in a little oil until translucent
- Add the canned chiles and tomatoes in skillet with onions
- Slowly add the cheeses one cup at a time, stirring until melted
- Add garlic salt and heat through
- Transfer queso dip to a medal/heat proof bowl and set aside
Mrs. Celina’s Salsa!:
- Just “mix in blender with love and Viola!” -Mrs. Celina herself!💗
- In a small bowl mix together your ingredients
- Store in air tight container, lasts up to 6 months. Store in dry/cool place.
- Grab your pan and put over stove on high heat
- Heat your oil in the pan
- Add ground beef. Stir, fry, and break up pieces with spatula or large wooden spoon for about 8-12 minutes until beef is browned completely and and the moisture has evaporated.
- Stir Taco Seasoning into ground beef until combined
- Take your taco meat off the heat and set aside
- Beans usually take super long to cook on the stove. The easiest way to do them is to grab two microwavable bowls and put the can of beans in one bowl and the can of corn in the other. Microwave for about 2 minutes each! And voila, they are ready and taste just as good!
- Using your cutting board and knife take your 1 ⅓ cup of grape tomatoes and slice them in half. Then find a spot for them on your large platter!
- Grab your Romain lettuce and gently place on your cutting board. Chop that lettuce to your liking, I am doing finely chopped! Then grab your big separate bowl and put the chopped lettuce in there and set aside.
- If you are not doing your pre shredded cheese, take your cheese grader and your block of cheddar cheese. Grade the cheddar onto your large platter.
- Place your avocado on your cutting board and chop your avocado into squares. Then place the chopped avocado on your large platter.
- Lastly take your ½ cup of green onions and finely mince. Set them on the platter.
- If you want you can use a salad dressing to add that tiny extra kick of flavor!
- Customize your taco salad or nachos to your liking!
That will finish this weeks recipe up! Enjoy your delicious Taco Salad or Nachos! See you this Friday!