Danda’s Chocolate Pie
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22-27 minutes
Hello and welcome back! This weeks recipe is a family original. My mom has mastered this recipe. I would help her sometimes as well as my brothers, but we would make it for about every holiday such as Thanksgiving! Thanks mom! ❤ I hope you all enjoy this dessert!
Joseph Fry, a British industrialist, was the first person to make chocolate(smith, 5). In 1847 Fry found out he could make a chocolate paste by adding melted cacao butter into dutch cocoa. Anthropologists have found evidence that chocolate was produced by pre-Olmec cultures living in present day Mexico as early as 1900 B.C.(history, 1). Over time chocolate has evolved massively. In the 1900’s in Europe they started to produce a less healthy version of chocolate milk as well as different types of chocolate such as milk chocolate, dark chocolate, salted carmel chocolate (literally every chocolate bar), chocolate ice cream, chocolate chips and more.
Chocolate is made now in factories or people can make it there self! But back to 1847, chocolate was made by Fry using a powered Watt steam engine. The engine was used to pump water out of mines. Steam power took off with improvements made by James Watt in 1778. The Watt steam engine improved the efficiency of steam engines considerably. His engines could be smaller and use less coal. This engine crushed the cacao seeds for Joseph Fry to help produce chocolate. The ancient Mesoamericans who first cultivated cacao plants found in the tropical rainforests of Central America fermented, roasted and ground the cacao beans into a paste that they mixed with water, vanilla, honey, chili peppers and other spices to brew the first frothy chocolate drink.
I hope you liked this recipe. My entire family and I defintely do. Have a great weekend! ❤
Ingredients: For the Pie
❑ 1 1/4 cup of sugar
❑ 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch
❑ 1 1/4 cup of milk
❑ 1 teaspoon of vanilla
❑ 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
❑ 3 egg yokes slightly beaten
❑ 1-2 tablespoons of butter
❑ Chocolate Bar
Ingredients: For the Meringue
❑ 3 egg whites
❑ 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
❑ 6 teaspoons of sugar
❑ 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- For the pie, add in all the ingredients into a stand mixer and mix on medium
- Then add the mixture into a cooking pot and put it on the stove on Medium heat until chocolate mixture is thick. Then place into a pie pan.
- Then add all of the meringue ingredients into either a bowl or mixer and either whisk until light and fluffy, or mix on medium until light and fluffy.
- Place the meringue on top of the chocolate pie and then place in over on 350ºF for 12-14 minutes or until the meringue gets a golden brown crust on top.
- Shave off pieces of chocolate to top it all off
- Take out and let it sit in the fridge until its ready to serve.
Have a great weekend!