Superior Beef Hamburgers and French Fries
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 20-30 minutes
Yield: 8 hamburgers patties
Hamburgers or cheeseburgers are an American classic. It wasn’t until 1928, 16 year old Lionel Sternberger was in his fathers Pasadena sandwich shop when he put a slice of cheese on a beef patty then put two pieces of bread on top of and underneath the patty- and the cheeseburger was born. In 1900 Louis Lassen, founder of Louis’ Lunch, ran a small lunch wagon selling steak sandwiches to local factory workers. Because he didn’t like to waste the excess beef from his daily lunch rush, he ground it up, grilled it, and served it between two slices of bread, and America’s first hamburger was created.
Fun facts, the largest cheeseburger ever made in the world was 777 pounds. It was created June 2, 2011 at the Alameda County Fair in California by Juicy’s. This giant burger featured 50 pounds of cheese. The bun alone weighed in at 272 pounds and contained an estimated 1.375 million calories (cheeseburger,2). If you want to see it, its not very pretty, but it is a world record burger, and there will be a picture connected to this link. White Castle was the very first fast food cheeseburger chain (insider,3). In that article you can also find a few of your favorite fast food restaurants menu from a very very long time ago, it is super cool!
I love cheeseburgers and researching these were so fun! But, making them might be even more fun! I hope you all have an amazing weekend and enjoy!
Ingredients for patty&burger:
❑ 3 tablespoons of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
❑ 4lbs of ground beef (will feed a family of 8)
❑ Lettuce (I recommend butter lettuce or iceburg)
❑ Big juicy tomatoes
❑ Santa Maria seasoning blend
❑ frozen french fries
❑ finely diced onions
❑ *optional* small squares of cheddar cheese. (should be the size of a gummy bear)
❑ *Opional* pickles
❑ Burger Buns
Ingredients for Thousand Island Sauce (spread):
❑ 1/2 cup of ketchup
❑ 1/3 cup of mustard
❑ 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
❑ 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar
❑ 1 1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
❑ 1/2 cup of sweet pickle relish
❑ salt&pepper for flavor
❑ *optional* 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce of your preference
- Put your ground beef, Lawry’s salt, finely diced onions and optional your chunks of cheese. Optionally grab your small chunks of cheese and place them into your burger mixture (when they burger is cooked once you bite the burger the cheese will ooz out) Combine ingredients into a big bowl and use your hands to mix evenly.
- Mix the ingredients with your hands until completely combined.
- Take about 1/2 cup of your burger mix and roll into a ball. continue this step until all of the burger mix is gone.
- Turn your stove onto medium heat and put about a tablespoon of butter on the pan so the burgers wont stick.
- Take one burger ball and gently place onto pan, grab two spatulas and press down hard for a few seconds until the patty looks almost circular. This is called the smash burger method.
- Grab your Santa Maria seasoning blend or your Lawry’s seasoning salt (I prefer the Maria blend) and season your burger to your liking.
- Grill your burger for 2 minutes then rotate 90 degrees and cook for another 2 minuets. Flip your burger and very lightly season your burger and add the cheese let cook for about 2 minutes then your burger is ready.
- Complete steps 5-7 until you have no more burger patties
- Set oven to 350 Degrees and throw your french fries on a sheet then put them in the oven until golden brown. Once golden brown take out and season with Lawry’s seasoning salt.
- Grab a cutting board and slice your tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, onions and pickles.
- Set aside
- Take a bowl or jar and combine your ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, pickle relish and salt&pepper. Mix with a spoon and you can optionally add your half teaspoon of hot sauce of your choice to make a spicier thousand.
- Cook your bacon and place onto cutting board with other condiments.
- Slightly brown your hamburger buns on the stove using butter.
- For lettuce wrapped burger, place a big piece of lettuce and spread your thousand island sauce on top of lettuce piece. Grab your burger and place on top. Take whatever condiments you want on top such as tomatoes, onion, avocado, bacon and pickles and place your last piece of lettuce on top in substitute for your buns.
Have a great weekend!