Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 20 beet&corn tortillas
❑ 1/2 a beetroot
❑ 1/2 tsp salt
❑ 2 cups Maseca instan corn flour
❑ 1 1/4 cups warm (not hot) water
- Clean the beetroot and peel it. Then, using a grater, grate up enough for 3 tablespoonfuls.
- Add the grated beetroot, salt, Maseca instan corn flour, and water to a bowl and mix well using your hands. Dough will be crumbly but keep kneading for 5 minutes or so. If dough is still crumbly, add in 1 tbsp of water and mix well. Repeat only if necessary.
- Divide dough into 20 balls. Place dough balls in a container as they are being made, making sure that the container is covered with a wet towel/ wet paper towel.
- Place a non stick pan over a medium high heat stovetop to preheat.
- If using a tortillas press, pressing out the 20 tortillas should be fairly easy and quick. However, if not using a tortilla press, grab a gallon sized sandwich bag. Using a scissor, cut off the zip and cut along the folded lines of the two sides by the zipped section so the bag can be easily opened and closed along the one remaining fold line. Open up the flap, place a tortilla dough ball into the center of the cup plastic bag and cover the flap over the ball. Press down with a casserole dish or cutting board.
- Gently open up plastic, and after each tortilla is pressed, place the tortilla (one at a time) onto the pan on the stove top. Cook for 30-50 seconds one side, then flip and cook another 30-50 seconds. If the tortilla puffs up it is a good sign.
- As each tortilla is cooked, place it in a container that is covered with wet towels. When all tortillas are cooked, make sure to keep them covered with wet towels/aluminum foil until ready to enjoy.
- before servings you can sprinkle a little bit of sea salt for extra flavor.